Many of our members will have met or been assisted by Melissa Noonan the CEO of Limbs 4 Life, the national body representing Amputees. Melissa’s contribution and significant service to people with a disability.
Melissa was awarded the: MEMBER (AM) IN THE GENERAL DIVISION OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA
“Today, I have been honoured with the appointment as a Member (AM) of the Order of Australia. While I am thrilled to accept this honour, I am also extremely humbled and I would like to take this opportunity to thank my family, friends, colleagues and those of you who nominated me.
It has and will continue to be a privilege to serve and support the Australian amputee community and their families. I know that we can continue to work together to achieve better outcomes while being a strong voice for people who struggle to speak up for themselves.
As a proud Australian, my hope that receiving an AM will encourage more people with disabilities to be heard, understand and action their human rights and hear my message about the need to invest in the 9,000 people and their families impacted by limb loss in Australia each year.
Like many of our volunteers, I welcome the opportunity to continue to give back to the community in a voluntary capacity outside of my role as CEO. Personally, I think that volunteering is important and a way to share my skills just like our amazing Peer Support Volunteers and dedicated voluntary Board Members do.
My passion, vision and goal is, and remains, to empower our community with education and information so that you too can make informed decisions; find your own voice and ensure that you achieve all of your dreams, no matter how big or small”.
We thought it relevant to post just some of Melissa’s achievements:
- Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Limbs 4 Life, since 2004.
- Involved in establishing Amputee Awareness Week’, celebrated nationally from the 4 – 11 October each year.
- Member, Victorian Disability Advisory Council, 2013-2015.
Australian Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology Association
- Board Member, since 2016.
Manningham Promoting Character
- Board Member, 2011-2019.
- Ambassador, 2010-2019.
Awards and Recognition includes:
- Recipient on behalf of Limbs4Life, Australia Day Perpetual Trophy, City of
- Manningham, 2019.
- Recipient, Westfield Local Hero, Doncaster, 2018.
- Recipient, Pride of Australia Medal for Courage, Herald Sun, 2008.
- Recipient, Social Inclusion Award, Australian Government National Disability Awards,
- Recipient, Tattersalls Enterprise and Achievement Award, 2008.
- Recipient, Pride of Australia Medal, Herald Sun newspaper, 2008.